Sunday, 9 August 2026

The Delargo Gardens - July

 Here we are me dears, with everything back to normal - and by that I mean Late Again! I won't bang on about the weather but it has been ridiculously hot and we have a hosepipe ban enforced. That being said the garden is bearing up rather well.


 Without doubt the star of the month has been the humble garden Phlox, they have been stunning and the scent is wonderful. 





Lobelia × speciosa, Starship Scarlet Bronze.

A gift from nature; we bought this Nicotiana just once years ago but its seedlings still keep popping up.

Sadly bees are in decline - but not in our garden; it is a constant buzz with all types of bees, like the one on Lobelia × speciosa Starship Blue:

Hoorah for begonias, they are looking amazing - Begonia boliviensis 'Santa Cruz'

Begonia × tuberhybrida 'Nonstop Red' 

Begonia boliviensis Bellavista red.


Agapanthus are an absolute delight. This is Agapanthus 'Black Jack', RHS Chelsea Plant of the Year 2023

Agapanthus 'Stockholm' 

Before we depart for the grand tour of the estate I thought you might like to take in the view of the Agapanthus beds from the window of the tearooms 

There tiz then me darlins. All aboard the Land Rover! Don't worry we have had air-conditioning fitted.







 hope you enjoyed the tour. We have seen the stars of the month now it's time for the 'still doing nicely'

 Hemerocallis 'Crimson Pirate' 

I never expected the Taro to take the full sun and heat but it seems happy.

After the struggle to get our Hydrangea to turn blue I think we will tone it down a next year. This is one of the last blooms and is a nicer colour since we stopped adding the bluing agent.

A jolly window box for the tearooms. 

The last to flower of our Lilies is always Lilium speciosum var. rubrum  and we adore it. 

Agastache rugosa 'Liquorice Blue' 

Well then me lovelies that is just about it for this time. There is just enough time for Donny to give you a sneak preview of the annual Fuchsia fest. This is the lovely Fuchsia 'Billy Green'. 

With more heatwaves predicted and us being away for the annual pilgrimage to Amsterdam it will be interesting to see how the garden fares into next month. Whatever happens Donny and I are looking forward to seeing you back in the garden -

But till then it's

Ttfn from Donny

and Ttfn from me

Pip pip. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, July really paid us back for all the slog of watering, didn't it? Lovely to see the garden at its summer zenith! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed watering, feeding, re-potting and all the extra sunshine has worked wonders.
      Thank You for all your hard work.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I think I will tell my gardener to plant some Phlox. I am waiting for the night stock to bloom as I love some scent in the garden. Plenty of Bumble Bees here, but we are down on Honey Bees.
    We also have a hosepipe ban - it's made a lot of people very angry considering how much rain we had over winter.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love night scented stock to and highly recommend planting some Phlox.

      Delete
  3. You'd never know we hadn't had any rain in the last 250 years - your garden is a hotbed of colour, Madam A!
    Do Nicotianas self fertilise, because I'm wondering what bee or moth has a tongue long enough to reach all the way down those very long tubes?

    Oh, and: Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Ha. now with the hosepipe ban and just coming back from holiday things look a little different but actually not to bad.

      Delete
  4. What a joy! For yourselves and visitors. I'm still hoping to persuade the co-owner to let me loose with some seeds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what you can do with a few packets of seed.
      Fingers crossed you get the thumbs up.

      Delete