Thursday 29 February 2024

The Delargo Gardens - February

Late again but here we are me lovelies with the February Tour of the Gardens. We have just had the warmest February on record and probably the wettest too and everything seems a little ahead of itself. 


For me Narcissus 'Tête-à-tête' is the perfect Daffodil.


Especially in containers
 

Our Cyclamen coum has been in the same pot for years and comes back with a jolly show every year


as does Ipheion uniflorum. It was the star of the show last month and has looked fabulous all of this month. 


There are two varieties in the same pot and the darker blue should come to the fore as this one fades


The crocus and Iris we bought last Autumn were very disappointing.


Well there we are me dears and now its time to grab your hip flask and climb up into the Land Rover for a tour of our vast estate, stables and outlying farms.


The Winter stalwarts and gawd bless um I say.


The Winter would be even more depressing with out them giving us a splash of colour.


Vulgar and common some might say but;


So what if they are; so are some of my best friends but I still love Them.


Winter ended with the last day of February and good riddance to it. We sowed our Foxgloves a little late. They are a little small so am not sure if they will flower this year but they look strong and healthy.


Donny is hiding from the sun and is using Garnier Ambre Solaire factor 50. Gnomes can burn easily even in Winter sunshine.


There Tiz then me Darlins so till next time then. 
It's Ttfn from Donny
and it's Ttfn from me

Toodle-loo and Pip Pip.

10 comments:

  1. Well...you certainly have more color then we. It has gotten cold yet again with rain and strong gales ripping the yard and gardens from stems to stern's. In the last heavy snow we had a leaning 75ft Eastern White Pine...which leaded even more...and sadly had to be cut down last week. A sad day. Now...we will have to wait and see how this affects that part of the garden where the shade planting are. It will now have full sun. Oh dear.

    Loving your daffodils. Our and our Ipheion uniflorum are usually in bloom but are not yet....crocus is the color thing up and blooming for us....but we are to het a very warming trend starting tomorrow...almost 80 by Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to see you in the garden Mistress Maddie.
      Sorry to hear that the weather has been so unkind to you. I had to google the Eastern White Pine and gosh what a magnificent tree it is. Jon and I would happily swap places with you. We are surrounded with weed trees and would love them to be blown down so that we could get some sunlight.
      I also had to google 80'f, it's 26'c that's Bonkers
      Ttfn

      Delete
  2. It may be a bit early this year, but I do love the cheerfulness of early Spring (despite the oft-dismal weather, those daffs bring a bit of "sunshine" in!). Everything's raring to go now, so let's hope we don't get another "Beast from the East" late frost, and the next round of blooms (tulips, Hesperus, etc) take off... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed!
      The long-range forecast gives us average to warmer than average. There is always a chance of frost but nothing to awful.

      Delete
  3. As always...you boys...that garden always has something of interests. Nothing in bloom here yet but crocus and daffs. We shall see what i can plant being on the shoreline now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you me dear.
      Crocus and daffs are the joy of the season and if you have them you have colour. A seaside garden might seem like a challenge but I am sure you will adapt and make a fab new garden and I would very much like to see how you get on.
      Ttfn

      Delete
  4. Ihr schöner Garten ist bereit für den Frühling.
    Du hast die Gabe eines grünen Daumens, sollten Sie ein kleines Gewächshaus haben. Die Krokusse und der Gartenzwerg sind meine Favoriten.:)
    (vvs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke mein lieber.
      Leider haben wir keinen Platz für ein Gewächshaus. Wir haben es einmal mit einem Plastikgewächshaus versucht, aber es hat nicht sehr gut funktioniert.
      Donny der Gnom aus Doncaster wird überglücklich sein, dass Sie ihn erwähnt haben
      Ttfn

      Delete
  5. I pretty much always have to remind myself when seeing photos of your winter garden that it is the same one that in summer is full to bursting with plants and looks many times bigger! (Sorry for the long sentence - I couldn't decide how many commas I should use or where to put them, and gave up).

    Is that your Taro under the back passage windowsill? Aside from the presumably cold-wilted leaves, it still looks really sturdy!
    And I should have taken a leaf out of Donnie's book when working up at the allotment yesterday - I was down to my t-shirt and caught the sun.

    P.S. Your foxglove seedlings look much better than mine. I discovered them buried under a pile of soil from a nearby hole that Bitey had dug who knows how long ago. I managed to get the soil off them and, aside from being somewhat flattened, they're still green and will hopefully grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you are dear I was starting to worry.
      The way the garden changes from a baren windswept Desert into a subtropical jungle is a wonder and a joy.

      The Taro was outside and unprotected all Winter and does seem to be fine. I think it will put on some new leaves when the weather warms up a bit.

      I am sure your Foxgloves will be fine and look forward to seeing them
      Ttfn.
      PS. You don't have to worry about punctuation or grammar with me, I have never got the hang of either.

      Delete