Tuesday 31 October 2023

The Delargo Gardens - October

 Here we are me dears with the Delargo Towers Gardens, October tour and we are more or less on time for a change. Summer is well and truly over but we still have plenty of colour in the garden so get your wellies on and we will head off.

Clematis 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' is not happy but is flowering. We will re-pot her and hope she does better next year

The Salvias are at their best this month and should carry on till the first frosts

Salvia 'Amante'

Salvia 'Embers Wish'

Salvia Uliginosa

Salvia 'Amistad'.

Salvia x guaranitica “Rockin' Fuchsia”


All of the Begonias are still flowering their little hearts out.

While the Hydrangea macrophylla Black Stem Blue flowers have faded but have turned a rather lovely metallic colour which I like a lot.

The indispensable Geranium 'Rozanne' is still a joy. It does not get enough sun to be at its best but has flowered all season.


I am so pleased with the Phlox. We have three varieties that each flower in succession This month will be the last blast this year methinks.


Cobaea scandens has given a few flowers in recent months but is only now thinking about flowering properly so that will be a race against the first frosts.


Unlike the Black-Eyed Susan Thunbergia Alata


and a self sown seedling from last year. Both have flowered all Summer and refuse to stop.

There we are then, me dears. Now it's time to jump into the Land Rover for an extended tour of the rest of the vast grounds of the estate. Hope you have your hip flasks fully charged, It's might be a bumpy ride.







I hope you enjoyed the tour and hope the mud and terrain didn't make it too bumpy. Now we are back in the main garden I thought you might like to see how the Taro is getting on.


It's flowered !


We don't often mention the wildlife in the garden which is a shame because there is a lot. One of our great pleasures is watching our girls (the spiders) hatch and grow. They are big girls now!

just time for our sneak preview of the New Year Fuchsia Fest - This is Lady Isobel Barnett. She was the first named variety fuchsia I ever grew and this fuchsia is where my love/obsession with fuchsias came from.


Well there Tiz me darlins.

Donny and I hope to see you back in the garden next month

But till then It's Ttfn from Donny

and it's Ttfn from me

Toodle-loo and Pip Pip


10 comments:

  1. I love the hazy autumnal effect you got on some of these photos.

    It's remarkable, even as the days get shorter and shorter, how much wildlife - even the big bumble-bees - still visits the garden! It's no wonder really; we're probably the only garden around here that has so much flower, and for so long... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on all counts dear. We certainly do our bit to support the bee population all year round.
      Today was a bit chilly but it was dry with blue skies and the garden was full of big Bumble Bees all-day long.

      Delete
  2. So much color!!!! And all so pretty. Our garden is just about put to sleep already. The only color left is the salvia, the pansies, some mums and autumnal cabbages. A few more frost, and all will be but done except for the cabbages that tend to last till January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear lovely to see you in the garden, I hope you have your thermal underwear and a stout pair of Wellington Boots on. ( Now there is an image )
      Salvias are at their best now and we love them for it, so pleased you love them too.
      I think we shall escape the frosts till mid November but we shall see. We live on an island. The Atlantic is to the west, the Arctic to the North, Land locked Eastern Europe and Russia to the East and balmy Spain and the Mediterranean to the south. Anything could happen and sometimes does.
      Ttfn

      Delete
  3. I agree, you have captured the Autumn light. You still had a riot of colour - but October was peculiar, wasn't it? I still have strawberries trying to ripen in November!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Ms Scarlet.
      October was peculiar but then again name a month this year that wasn't in one way or another.
      As a Devonshire Dumpling I love strawberries (Tamar Valley are the best). I hope your November ones ripen but I somewhat doubt it. Please let me know.
      Ttfn.

      Delete
  4. I was hoping you'd show off your Taro flower after you mentioned it in September's post - thank you!

    Your garden's still looking lovely - especially the fuchsia festooned back passage. And that geranium really is a joy! I think I mentioned to Jon in a comment once that I'd have to get one, but it turns out that there IS one in our garden. It's just that it's been marmalised by a small and very industrious garden ruiner called Bitey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that you like my festooned back passage Mr De.
      Geraniums are a joy and blend with almost anything to create that cottaging garden look. Do look out for Geranium Rozanne, unlike the others it never stops flowering.

      Delete
  5. It really is a shame you have no hummingbirds in the UK, they go bonkers for salvia! Your yard would have so many it would be like walking among magical little fairies. When I was a kid, I thought that was the natural inspiration for the whole idea small fairies and sprites. It was only the other day when Jon said you have no hummingbirds that I was shocked!

    We don't get Nightjars, they look adorable though! Less intimidating than our owls too although I do love the classic hoot-hooo-hooo-hoo of the Great Horned owl.

    Lovely flower pictures! You do such a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame that we do not have hummingbirds in the garden but we do get the odd Fairy.
      Ttfn.

      Delete