Sunday 29 October 2023

Madam Arcati Cooks the Books #1; Polish Recipes

 

Madam Arcati Cooks the Books #1

You may know that apart from the garden my other passion is collecting Cookery Books. The 'Delargo Foundation' has at present some 287 books and a further 195 in PDF format

 I have often thought about using our diverse collection for a blog post but never have. Inspired by a blog chat with Steve. Because 'Steve'  I have decided to give it a bash. Having said that I am aware that if I cook and post from one book a month it will take me 2 years and 4 months to complete.

Lets see how far we get.

We start the ball rolling with book number 255. 'Treasured Polish Recipes for Americans'. Compiled from recipes from Polish women that moved to the USA after WW2 and Edited by Marie Sokolowski and Irene Jasinskiub. First published in 1948, my edition was printed in 2020.

 

I cooked Gołąbki, which translates as little pigeons and they do look similar cooked and on the plate.

 

 Now I was well out of my comfort zone cooking this and the result was beyond rustic. It was lovely however even if they were a bit larger than perhaps they should have been

Ingredients.

 

This was a Turkish flat cabbage which was enormous.

Luckily I have an enormous pot. I was amazed how easy it was to peel off each leaf whole from the blanched cabbage.

 I made 6 big ones, I think 8 or more smaller ones would have worked better. Gawd knows I had enough cabbage and beef - pork - rice stuffing.

This is were I entered into controversy. BACON! Every Polish person said that was wrong, in fact some were outraged saying that no one in Poland would ever top Gołąbki with bacon. 'Well' I told them this is a Polish recipe printed in 1948 so you are wrong! It turns out that bacon was not commonly used except for special occasions. Well, Madam Arcati cooking the the books is a special occasion. I stuck with the American Polish and used bacon and wish I hadn't.

 The bacon was in the oven for so long it wasn't that pleasant to eat and tinfoil would have protected my little pigeons better in the later stages of cooking.



Not the most refined or elegant cooking and presentation but very tasty when served with a good sauce. I used a tomato sauce from this book which used butter instead of oil and was lush.

Hope you found that worth the read and will pop back for next months post. I think I should have a go at something historic next time.

You will have seen this in the background of many of the photos so I will leave you with an image of my shrine to the major Gods of my kitchen.

If you have cooked something interesting I would love to hear about it.

Ttfn


 

 

10 comments:

  1. Delicious they were , too! Very filling... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Luckily I have an enormous pot." - Show off!

    What a fab idea for a series of blog posts! I'm glad you're doing this as I might find some recipe ideas - I'm such a finicky eater that I tend to stick with the rather basic things that I know I like. This particular recipe however will not be on my list as I only like the butter and onion (and, when in the mood, the cabbage). Lovely plates, though!

    I got some butter out of the fridge this morning with the intention to bake a cake or some cookies, but it didn't happen (I've spent most of the day working on a poster for Terrifying Triffidery).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words me dear.
      Glad you liked my new post and my plates. Don't worry about the cookies, you can always buy them, Terrifying Triffidery is far more important.
      Ttfn.

      Delete
  3. I thought I had left a comment here! Apologies. Ditto, Mr Devine! I too am a basic eater. I like eggs - boiled or scrambled or fried. And I like butter and onions.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Scarlet, It's lovely to have you in my kitchen.
      Egg cookery is art in itself it comes under the term farinaceous which comes from the Latin and French word for flour. I have no idea why they are linked together. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
      When it comes to butter and onions I agree with both you and Mr De
      Ttfn

      Delete
  4. Just catching up after a couple of weeks on the old turf.(NZ) and thank goodness I found this via our mutual friend who now goes be name of Paul. Definitely following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to have your company in the kitchen dinahmow. Thank you for your kind and enougaging words and thank you ' Seve because' for the plug.
      I never thought anybody would be interested in my new series of monthy cookery posts let alone read them and I am dead chuffed with the responce that I have recied
      Thank you all.

      Delete
  5. Erinnert mich an die Küche meiner deutsch-polnischen Großmutter.
    Der Kohl sollte nach dem Kochen mit einem Streifen Speck angebraten werden, um ihn Geschmack zu verleihen. / You should sautée your cabbage with a strip of bacon after blanching/boiling it for flavor.
    In Deutschland und Polen gab es viele, die wie meine Großeltern gemischter Nationalität waren und daher von beiden Seiten misshandelt wurden.
    Omas Kochkünste halfen der Familie durch schlechte und gute Zeiten.
    - Granma's cooking got our family through both difficult and good times :)
    (vvs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo mein Lieber. Danke für deinen Kommentar. Deine Großmutter scheint eine starke und mutige Frau zu sein. Oft sind es (wie in meiner Familie) die Frauen, die in schwierigen Zeiten das Fundament jeder Familie sind.

      I am very drawn to Polish and German cookery - Cabbage, Bacon, sausage and dumplings, what's not to like. I need to find a good German cookery book in English.

      Delete