Thursday 30 December 2021

The Delargo Gardens - December

 

Here we are me lovelies. It is bleak Mid Winter and I must admit there is not a lot to see in the garden.

We still have some colour but with overnight temperatures down to -5'c earlier in the month we have less colour this year than last.

 The Cobaea is struggling along. I thought this would be it's last flower but it has several new buds.

 The plucky little Pelargoniums are still jolly.

Only one of the three Cyclamen has flowered so far but we hope the other two will catch up.

 I have been amazed with the next plant. It has flowered non stop since late Spring and still is refusing to stop. Nicotiana Affinis is well worth growing just for the scent alone but it is also such a good doer.

 The salvias may not be at their best but they are still flowering.

There we are are then me dears and it's time to climb aboard the Sky Lark for the last tour of our extensive grounds for this year.




Roll on Spring.

The primulas will cheer us up till then but our violas have for the most part have given up the ghost and have shrivelled but the Snow Drops are already pushing up their leaves and readying themselves to announce the end of Winter and the approach of Spring.

I shall leave you with a Fuchsia, ('Holly's Beauty') as a taster for the up and coming 'Annual Delargo Towers Fuchsia Fest.' The workman are already busying themselves erecting the marquee and VIP Hospitality Tent.


 There tiz then me dears that's it for 2021, We wish you a fabulous 2022

Roll on Spring.

Ttfn

6 comments:

  1. Your Pelargoniums really are providing some bright spots. I must admit, I'm not a fan of them usually, but at this time of year along with the Salvias they become stars!

    I had to chop the Cobaea that was going up the south-facing wall of the house way, way back last month as - along with a Clematis ('Montana' or something similar) - it was utterly swamping a star jasmine and early spring flowering clematis. I hated doing it, but thought the cold weather would have finished it off anyway. Except, we didn't really get the drop in temperatures that you did (there was a bit of frost one morning, but that was it), and the blasted thing is making another go of it!

    Actually, I've been outside this afternoon having a bit of a clear up because it's been so warm. I'm already quite excited about Spring as I've noticed loads of new growth about the place.

    Can't wait for 'Fuchsia Fest'! I'm guessing the ketle will be on and the gin cracked open?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Gosh Mr. D. You are quick of the mark. I am so far behind on my blog reading it might be 2023 before I catch up.
      A Cobaea really is the gift that keeps on giving isn't it.
      Like you I hate the Winter and like you I find great joy in seeing the plants developing rosettes, shoots and buds as they get themselves ready to take full advantage of the coming Spring
      Don't worry about tea at the 'Delargo Towers Fuchsia Fest.' you will have a Gold VIP card for the hospitality tent.
      Ttfn

      Delete
  2. It's quite amazing how the late summer flowers are still persisting despite everything - and overlapping with the Spring ones!

    Soon be bulbs time..! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have passed the Solstice and slowly the light returns. The Snow Drops have already started into growth and we have the Daffs and Tulips to look forward to after that.
      Roll on Spring !

      Delete
  3. Very warm for December - I hope it doesn't confuse the plants too much.
    Roll on Spring, and Happy New Year!!
    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Ms Scarlet, yesterday we were +13'c in the garden and today they are forecasting +15'c.
      Things are already shooting which I think they will regret in February when it's bound to freeze.
      Happy New Year
      Ttfn

      Delete