Monday, 31 August 2026

The delargo Gardens - August.

 Here we are then me darlins. The hosepipe ban has had an impact on our completely container grown garden this month but perhaps not as badly as we feared especially as we have been away on holiday for part of it.


 The majority of our salvias are just getting into their stride and should start to dominate the garden next month and up to the first frosts.


 
 
There a are plenty of other jollies adding colour to the garden. A fresh flush on the self-seeded Nicotiana 
 

The Thunbergia alata, Black-eyed Susan should be 3 times taller by now but it is flowering and is a joy

 Scaevola and its Unique Flowers - five petals arranged in a hand-like or fan shape.

We all need a good doer. Begonia non stop red does it for me.

This should be Anemone × hybrida 'Königin Charlotte') which is pink

Next year we will be doing pelargoniums and Ipomoea purpurea 'Kniola's Black big time.

 

I was hoping to be able launch our hot air balloon for a flight over the vast drought ridden expanse of the Delargo estate and outlying Farms but had forgotten that the BBC have booked it for for a ridiculous amount of monies to film the second series of 'Gardens from the Air, with Christine Walkden.
 






The stars of the month might be a bit short in supply but all hail the reliable doers.




 Nobody raves about common old Busy Lizzy, Impatiens walleriana but in can fill a difficult corner full of flower and colour.

There Tiz then me lovelies Donny is telling me it is time to do the sneak preview of the fuchsia Fest. This one is named after me and is 'Devonshire Dumpling'

Hope you enjoyed your visit to the garden and Donny and I hope to see you in September.

Till the it's Ttfn from Donny

and

It's Ttfn from me.

Toodle Pip. 

13 comments:

  1. Spectacular! How have I managed to be the first commenter of all people!?!? I've been out of the blogosphere for too long, but these flower pictures are delightful and I would never have known they'd been on water restrictions! May the coming week treat you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh you were quick off the mark. Thank you for your kind words

      Delete
  2. Nobody raves about Carnations anymore - I used to love the smell of them.
    Anyhow, your estate is gorgeous as usual, lovely to have all that colour and scent despite the lack of rain. You worked hard, and it paid off.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love carnations and pinks too. we stopped trying to grow them as we couldn't give them enough sun. We will have to give them another go next year.

      Delete
  3. Farbenfroher und wunderschöner Garten.
    Ihr Engländer seid geborene Gärtner, deshalb verfügen viele Parks und Schlösser in Europa über englische Gärten. Sie könnten eine Donny gebrauchen. :-)
    (vVs)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh! Beaten to it by Ms Blue, Ms Scarlet and Mr Anonymous?! I blame the bloody Google Gnomes, as this took so long to arrive in the Reading List that it slipped way down and was overtaken by other people's posts.

    Great photos - and yes, as long as we keep cosseting them, the Salvias and Fuchsias should keep the garden going right the way through to the end of Autumn and into Winter if we don't get any frost... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Blue and Ms Scarlet were indeed very quick off the block this time but this is not a race, if it was you would win by averages.

      Delete
  5. Youve been on a watering ban? Doesn't look it. Dang, Arcati. (bows)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are banned from using a hosepipe but are allowed to use a watering can.
      It has been hard work but between us we seem to have kept everything alive.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to see that most, if not all of your potted plants made it through the summer. Being away on holiday for some of it must have been quite harrowing.

    Do you Chelsea Chop your geraniums (and other specimens)? I ask because I introduced two or three to the garden here this year and wondered if I should have given them a chop once they'd finished flowering. Although, I have noticed new growth on them recently, so perhaps they didn't need it?

    Oh, and do you find Ipomoea seedlings growing EVERYWHERE in the summer? I have them popping up in unexpected places - nowhere near where they grew last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear. It is best to cut Geraniums back to the ground after their first flush of flower. This will stop the plant looking scruffy and you will get a good second flush of flower. The exception is Geranium 'Rozanne' which never stops flowering.
      Ipomoeas have been fab this year !

      Delete
    2. To be honest, you can chop back hardy geraniums - even Rozanne - whenever they look scruffy (not just around Chelsea), and they'll come back. They're very forgiving. Jx

      Delete