Sunday 30 April 2023

The Delargo Gardens - April

 Here we are again then me lovelies. It has been the coldest Spring I can remember but the garden is growing away like mad. What a difference a few weeks can make this time of year. March was all about Daffodils now that we are at the end of April it is all about Tulips.

So pleased with our generic Tulip mix this year. The violas have grown through them and carried on flowering and are looking lovely

 We also planted a Purple and white mix. There are no signs of flowers on the purple yet but the white one is a joy. It starts as a pale lemon - then turns white with a citrus yellow eye, opens fully looking like a water lily and closes again at night. Love it to bits but just wish I knew the name so we could get it again.

A welcome return and re-flowering from last years bulbs is Tulip Paul Scherer,

  such deep colour it is all but Black.

Teamed with Narcissus Starlight Sensation it adds a bit of drama to the garden.

This little chap bellow is called Minnow and he is rather delightful.

I planted these Lily of the Valley in remembrance of my Mum. They are just coming into flower now and the scent is a joy.

There we are then me dears, now tiz time to climb up into the Land-rover and tour our vast estate
 



We dont normally include the top field in the tour due to health and safety concerns. How ever I wanted to show you the Winter damage to our lovely and once impressive Bronze Cordyline. It was the focal point at the end of 'the Long Walk' and we shall miss it dreadfully. Hopefully we might get some side shoots to sprout after it has had a bit of tree surgery.



Just time for a quick look to see whats going on indoors - 

you might like to know that the orchid is still going strong but is just starting to fade a little

 To our great joy the Taro from last year is going great guns and is now even bigger than in this photo taken earlier in the month. We can hardly move around the kitchen but it is too cold for it to go out yet.

Donny is on his annual leave at the moment so I have asked Jon to say Ttfn instead.

Hope to see you back in the garden in May 

but till then me dears it's Ttfn from the both of us.

Toodle-loo and Pip Pip.

10 comments:

  1. Spring is indeed a season of contrasts, and with a little bit of sunshine everything is now rocketing away nicely (with only a few casualties to the frosts). Potting-on season is upon us, and fingers crossed the night-time temperatures will soon be reliably warm enough to get the Taro (and indeed the houseplants) outside for their summer sunbathe. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we are into May everything is going full-steam ahead and it will be nice to get the giant Taro out of the kitchen.

      Delete
  2. You two never disappoint! Tulips are some of my favorite spring flowers. I will miss toiling around in my garden, as I'm downsizing out of the monstrosity of a house since my husbands passing two years ago, into our little 5 room beach house. So I will be having a garden of a much different variety I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Agnes, lovely to see you in the garden enjoying the Tulips
      Moving into a Beach house, sounds lovely and I am sure it will call for a different style of garden. The late Derek Jarman created a famous beach garden near Dungeness that I would love to visit.
      https://www.gardenista.com/posts/garden-visit-derek-jarmans-prospect-cottage-at-dungeness/
      I do hope your beach house is a bit bigger than his fisherman's cottage.
      Ttfn

      Delete
  3. This was a lovely tour of your garden I didn't know I needed. A true respite! Thank you! I can wait to see what you bring to IDV's Garden party this year! Ta-ta for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear.
      A visit to any garden is always a tonic and I am so pleased that ours gave you a 'pick me up'.
      I am looking forward to IDV's Garden party too and it will be interesting to see what Jon selects to take to it.
      Ttfn

      Delete
  4. I am taken by the Minnow - now he's cute. And I love tulips!
    Sorry to see the Winter damage, though, I hope the cuttings come to life.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Scarlet.
      Tulips are indeed a great Joy after the long drab Winter. Glad you liked our little Minnow, I think we will try to grow more of that type of Narcissus next year.
      Ttfn

      Delete
  5. I hope that your Cordyline hasn't carked it. I'm surprised that it succumbed whereas the spiderplants didn't. And yours still have leaves! Mine were all frozen to the ground, and I thought I'd have to start a new lot off from the babies in the kitchen, but all of them are sprouting again!

    Your black tulips and white narcissus are gorgeous! The Donny stand-in isn't bad either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you in the garden Mr D.
      Losing the Cordyline is a bit of a blow as it was the focal point of the garden. Frost got the growing tip and then the rest just rotted. The plan is to saw of the top and hope it sprouts side shoots like a Yucca. The spider Plants however have been outside for many years now and are tough as old boots and always come back to life.

      Donny's stand-in says thank you and the real Donny will be back with us in-time for the next post.
      Toodle-loo and Pip Pip.

      Delete