Saturday 8 January 2022

Delargo Towers Fuchsia Fest 2021

 Hello me dears. It's 2022 and 2021 is over. Its time for our annual Fuchsia Review.

Fuchsias always look fab and do so for such a long time, it is easy to take them a bit for granted. They often don't make it onto the blog as I try to show what has newly come into its season.

To make up for this every year we hold a 'Fuchsia Fest' here at 'Delargo Towers' to showcase our collection. This year we have a grand tally of 38 named varieties, with nine of those new to us in 2021. We will look at each Fuchsia in the collection in turn and in alphabetical order.

So with out any further ado, I declare the 'Delargo Towers Fuchsia Fest 2021'  well and truly open!

Abbe Farges


Alison Patricia 


Bella Lydia 


Bella Mariska


Bella Rosella 


Blue Waves


Bobolink


Border Queen


Border Raider - New for us in 2021


Caroline


CJ Howlett 


Cliantha 


Coralle - New for us in 2021


Dark Eyes - New for us in 2021


Deep Purple 


Devonshire Dumpling 


Elfriede Ott 


Foolke

 

Hazel Elizabeth 


Holly's Beauty 


Hot Coals


Italiano


Just Pat - New for us in 2021


Katrina Thompsen


Lady Boothby 


Lady Isobel Barnett


Louise Nicholls 


Pink Fantasia - New for us in 2021


Pink Rain 


Quasar


Raspberry - New for us in 2021


Rivendell 


Rose of Castile


Royal Velvet


Swingtime  - New for us in 2021


Ting-a-Ling - New for us in 2021


Viva Ireland


Walz Jubelteen 

There tiz then me lovelies.
 2021: a rotten year for most of us, a poor year for the garden but the Fuchsias just got on with it and did their own thing

There is just time to remember absent friends, that is the two of our Fuchsias that didn't make it into 2021

 Thalia above and Bella Sophia below

 Hope you enjoyed the Fuchsias and you visit to the VIP hospitality tent.

Hope to see you back in the garden proper at the end of the month.

Roll on Spring 2022!

12 comments:

  1. Glorious! Roll on Spring indeed - when hopefully we can get to Mr Baker's nursery and add more! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A visit to the wonderfully grumpy Mr. Baker and his fabulous Fuchsia Nursery is a must for next Spring. Hopefully we can get some that start with an X Y and a Z.

      Delete
  2. I just adore Fuchsia. It has got to be one of the most delicate and elegant of any flowering planet for me. And you boys have quite the collection, I dare say more than anyone I know in person.

    We are ourselves have the Royal Velvet and Bella Rosella this season and are the two most common here. Our whole garden is now asleep under 4" of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and Happy New Year Mistress.
    I know you are a fellow Fuchsia fan and glad you enjoyed looking at ours.
    Bella Rosella is a must for any garden and I believe has the biggest flower of them all. How do they cope with your Winters? All of ours have to get through the Winter outside without protection. Fingers crossed they all manage it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our fuchsia generally don't make it. It's way to bitter and harsh in the winter, and I have tried to bring them in to our basement over the winter, trimmed back, but they too untimely never make it. Unless you have a heated greenhouse, they don't stand a chance. We generally have to get new ones every spring.

      Delete
    2. New Fuchsias in the Spring, Fab! Gardening and shopping = Joy

      Delete
  4. Fabulous! All of them! I love the big, blousiness of "Bella Rosella", "Cliantha", "Dark Eyes", "Deep Purple", "Devonshire dumpling", "Royal Velvet" and especially "Quasar" (which I might like more because of the space-themed name).
    "Caroline" and "Italiano" are beautiful, and "Hot Coals", "Lady Elizabeth Barnett" and "Rivendell" are particularly elegant.
    Just like last year or the year before - I can't remember?), I'm still drawn to "Foolke".

    Now I'm safely ensconced in the VIP hospitality tent, a toast to Spring and another year of fabulous fuchsias (and other assorted botanicals) at Delargo Towers!

    P.S. RIP Thalia and Bella Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that you enjoyed your visit Mr D.
      'a toast to Spring' and another gardening year. I'll Drink to that
      Ttfn

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I love fuchsias and so do my hummingbirds. I have one that is really hardy and no fuss. I haven't been able to find any like it in the plant nurseries, so I think I'll try propagating it this year. It's not the most attractive fuchsia ever, but it's so reliable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I can't imagine how joyful it must be to watch hummingbirds visiting the Fuchsias. We will have to make do with bees and hoverflies but that is a delight too.
      I am fascinated by your mystery fuchsia and would love to know what it is and looks like.
      Ttfn

      Delete
  6. All pretty! But the Devonshire Dumpling is a stand out for me!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello me dear.
      As a 'Devonshire Dumpling' myself it was a must have.
      I love it, the subtle flush of pink and ball like buds make it rather special methinks too.
      Ttfn

      Delete